Uber and Careem drivers called on social media for a strike to protest low share of fare, along with five more demands. The strike set to take place for four days from Feb 20 to 24.
A Facebook group named “Let it go bankrupt” has 1,100 members, who are actively sharing their demands and concerns on public.
The group has six main demands:
- Increase the share of fare for drivers
- Increase the minimum fare to EGP 10 instead of EGP 6
- Decrease the company’s share to 15%
- Add photo and national ID to customers’ accounts
- Allow drivers to reject five requests per day without impacting their rating
- Allow drivers to discuss complaints before blocking them from the app
One of the striking drivers shared the details of a 70 km trip that took him two hours and a half to earn EGP 170, i.e., US $9.6 – after Uber’s cut.
More updates to follow.